Let’s be honest, men don’t really like talking about their health. Which is why I was thrilled to see so many men at the inaugural Men’s Health Business Breakfast which was held in Perth recently.
The event was held at The George and was attended by more than 70 people from workplaces across Perth. It was in aid of supporting Diabetes WA, the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and MAN – Healthier Directions for Males to raise awareness of the importance of men’s health.
Guest speakers Dr Joe Kosterich, Kim Ledger and John Poynton used personal stories to highlight the importance of early intervention and being in tune with how your body is feeling.
Some stats about men’s health:
- 70% of men in Australia are overweight or obese
- Only 15% are sufficiently active
- The life expectancy of men is 79.9 years compared to 84.3 years for women
- Nearly 1/3 of men have a chronic health condition
- Every hour, 4 men die from potentially preventable conditions
- Suicide is the leading cause of death in men 15-44 years of age
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer amongst Western Australian males
- Men are less likely to seek help for their health until it is too late
- Men are less likely to talk about their health
For more information about the men’s health programs available from Diabetes WA, contact Men’s Health Project Officer Russell Cox on 08 9221 1183 or email [email protected].